We perform these procedures:
- Orthognathic surgery (facial harmonization surgery)
- Traumatology and facial reconstruction surgery
- Facial feminization surgery : morphology correction of jaws and forehead
- Facial skin surgery : surgical removal of skin lesion of the face
- Facial cosmetic medicine : botulin toxin and fillers injection
- Corrective jaw surgery. This is indicated in cases of prognathism (protruding jaw), retrognathism (retruded jaw) or laterognathia (deviated jaw), gummy smile or any other occlusion disorder that cannot be treated by orthodontics only.
- The principle is to correct the position of the squelettal bases by a repositioning osteotomy. The new position is set by titanium plates. This procedure is in most of the cases combined with orthodontic treatment.
- Maxillary disjunction surgery with placement of a palatal distractor: if the upper jaw is too narrow in relation to the lower jaw, it needs widening. The aim is to have an upper jaw that covers the lower like a lid.
- Genioplasty: chin morphology correction (lengthening, shortening, remodelling)
- Facial feminization surgery: procedures in preparation for gender reassignment. The morphology of the jaw (angles, chin) and forehead (reduction of brow ridges) can be corrected.
- Facial surgery in general can now be simulated by a software in order to prepare for procedures through precise knowledge of the jaw movements to be made. This virtual surgery helps to make the end result more accurate and predictable.
- Surgery takes place under general anaesthetic at the Kirchberg Hospital. A one to two-night hospital stay is needed.
- Two to three weeks off work (recovery period) are then needed for oedemas and bruising to fade away. Pain is not very intense but substantial swelling may occur.
- A liquid diet is required for one week, followed by soft food only for a month and a half.
- Exercise can be resumed after approximately two months.
- The osteosynthesis material is generally left in place for life. If a problem such as discomfort or infection occurs, it can be removed, in some cases under local anaesthetic.
Traumatology and face reconstruction surgery
- Surgery in case of jaws fractures (fall, accident). The goal is to reduce the fractures and fix it by osteosynthesis titanium plates.
- Treated fractures : jaw, dental arch, nose, cheek bones, orbit.
- Facial wounds surgery.
- Repair surgery for old facial trauma.
Facial skin surgery
- Resection of skin lesions on the face in the event of suspected carcinoma or in cases of uncomfortable or unattractive lesions.
- Procedures are done under local or general anaesthetic depending on the size and location of the lesion.
- May be done by simply excision with stitches, by local flap reconstruction or by skin graft.
Facial cosmetic medicine
- Botulinum toxin (Botox) injection to relax the muscles that cause wrinkles. This is particularly used on three areas of the forehead: frown lines (between the eyebrows), horizontal forehead lines and crow’s feet (around the eyes).
- Hyaluronic acid injection. The aim is to restore volume in facial tissues which tend to sag over time: nasolabial folds, marionette lines, lip contour, cheeks.